It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:26 pm 

So who does programming here? I know it's not something that EVERY IT person must know, but I feel that learning a language really helps the flow of logical thought process. I'm teaching myself C right now, but have dabbled in a tiny bit of Java, and Python. But I want to really comprehend C, as it's used for the primary resources in Linux/Unix environments. Who else here is programming? If so working on any projects? Do share, idea's, thoughts, comments...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 am 

I completely agree with you. I highly recommend everyone to at least learn the basics of at least one programming language. If you don't know a programming language and known a one or two scripting languages well then your half way there. Python is a great first language to learn. Its very easy and quick to pick up especially if you have some experience with scripting languages.

I would say java is my favorite language to use only because its what I was taught. I have a little experience with python and c++. I have always wanted to learn C but have never gotten myself to learn it. Are there any tutorials or books that you are using to learn C?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:25 am 

I'm actually trying to find that "perfect" source myself. Right now, I'm using:

Practical C Programming by Oreily
available here for free: http://repo.zenk-security.com/Programma ... dition.pdf

A warning about this though, the book was written in '96, so some of the things here are deprecated, for example using strcpy instead of strncpy, where strcpy is vunerable to buffer overflows. etc..

My favorite resource for C is :
Learn C The Hard Way
avaible here: http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/

What I love about this, is the exercises they have you do, very hands on. A lot of the exercises ask you to find way's to 'break' the code which is great motivation to play around with things and see if you can find ways around rules. Highly recommended way to jump into this.

Lastly, as goofy as it sounds, the book by Jon Erickson called "Hacking: the Art of Exploitation", has a full section on C. While it doesn't go into great detail about everything, it gives you a very very solid foundation. Of course it focus more on the security side of the language. It reallly goes into detail about pointers, the stack and the heap.

Hope this helps!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:09 pm 

Sounds great, thanks a bunch!

I will definitely check out the last two sources!

Offline Profile