It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:06 pm 

Here is a product that is very interesting. It uses your heartbeat to authenticate passwords, doors, and other possibilities. This seems like a very good step towards security.

This is an article from The Verge about Nymi:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/468816 ... -passwords

Here is their website:
http://www.getnymi.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:56 pm 

Awesome article! I am loving this! I really like the idea of constant authentication. The wristband is continually providing authentication to a system which I think is a key factor that many security systems are missing mainly because its so hard to integrate without putting a huge burden on the user.

I have often thought about basing some type of authentication token off of hour heartbeat but I have always thought about how variable you heart rate can be. Id like to point out that this is not based on your heart beat but of the electrical activity generated by your heart (ECG). A person's ECG is dependent on the size, position, and physiology of their heart, and it's completely unique to every person (articles words not mine).

I do not know enough about this technology and how it works but here are a few questions I would like to raise:

Since ECG is based on body size position of heart, etc.. you would need to update you ECG pattern as you develop especially between the ages of 10-20.

I wonder how the authenticate is sent to the device you are trying to authenticate with. In my mind there is the possibility of replay attacks if someone were to somehow obtain a sample signature of your ECG and then repeatedly send it out just as if you were the person wearing the wristband.

Love to hear what others think!

Offline Profile