It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Graduate Degree
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:57 pm 

Is anyone here pursuing their Masters? Now that I'm on the brink of graduation... I've been seriously thinking about this option. I know for a fact that having a masters is not necessary for many positions in our field. But I've always had a soft spot for research and development, and working in that type of environment, you need a post undergrad degree.

If pressed, I'd probably go for either an MS in telecommunications, (engineering) or Cyber Security and Privacy. The work load wouldn't bother me, it's more about the time and money. Especially if I do the telecom masters, I'd have to take like a semesters worth of bridge courses

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Graduate Degree
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:17 pm 

Fall 2014 I will be starting my Masters in Information Assurance at Northeastern University.

I started looking into grad info about year in advanced to make sure I found a program that offered what I wanted and had great resources. I was also worried about financial expenses but if your going to do a masters in any field relating to cybersecurity then there is a good chance you can find a scholarship that pays for most, if not all of your schooling. At Northeastern and other schools there are scholarship program that are hosted by the Department of Defenses and national science foundation that pay for your entire schooling. In return you have to work for a government agency for however many years you receive the scholarship (1 or 2). I applied for one at Northeastern and hopefully will hear back by the end of the month.

If you have any general question about grad school let me know I can try to help. If you want more info on scholarship programs let me know and ill send you a link to what requirements I had to do for mine. I know NYU poly tech and James Madison have similar scholarship programs.

Do you have any idea where you want to go?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:01 pm 

I honestly came to the realization that I may want to pursue a masters, MUCH later than I should have... I'm about to graduate so I may have to enroll in the spring, just so I don't rush into anything. I'd honestly like to stay local. My girlfriend and I are looking for apartments in the NJ area.

I mean if I could do it all over again, I'd probably go for a degree in electrical engineering. I'd love to go into R&D. Physics and electricity has always interested me, but my math is rubbish. Which is why I'm dreading taking the GRE's. Realistically I'll most likely go for a masters in IT administration, but if I do want to really push myself, I'd go the electrical route, and go for a masters in Telecommunications, or Internet Engineering. Those are the names of the majors that NJIT offers, I'm not sure what other schools would call them. I've looked at rutgers, but surprisingly they didn't offer a lot in the way of IT masters programs.

Any schools in the NJ or perhaps NY area that offers anything close?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:26 pm 

I am not really familiar with those majors sorry. But I would definitely take a look at Stevens, they have to have something similar to what you are looking for. Other than that I would check out NYU poly tech they have a great engineering department. They do a lot in cybersecurity and host one of the worlds largest CTF's which I took part in this past year. Those would be the places I would start looking.

Offline Profile