It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Port Scanning
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:05 am 

Now, it's my understanding that scanning a website for open ports is technically illegal . So this is the disclaimer, I'm not encouraging this in any way shape or form.

That being said, I don't see the reasoning behind this to be illegal. Looking at a site's or server's open ports is akin to driving down the street and looking to see if the shops have their doors open or closed. The site is personal property, and so is the server hosting the site, but they both display things that are technically announced in the open. If a shop keeper opens his door, and if web site broadcasts on port 80, what's the difference?
Software like nmap can scan ports, but that's an understatement for what this behemoth can do. All manner of information can be scryed from it's use. Combing different switches you can really dig deep and find out some interesting stuff.
Telnet is another tool that is a much simpler version of nmap. You can one by one select ports to test on a domain.

Both tools are a small part of port scanning libraries that are far more vast to name here.

Offline Profile